When I think of waffles, it brings a smile to my face. Therefore, it was exhilarating to create a Date & Banana waffle recipe for Wafflemeister Bahrain. Wafflemeister is a UK based waffle retail chain, which is expanding internationally. Off late, they have opened three outlets in Bahrain – In Galleria zinj, Seef Muharraq and Juffair Mall. Every Wafflemeister bakery serves handmade Belgian Liége waffles, Italian style ice cream (gelato), gourmet coffee and Thick Shakes.
The experience of creating a waffle in a professional kitchen was wonderful. On the designated day, I reached Wafflemeister in Galleria ( Zinj) to join a bunch of other bloggers to create our signature waffles. I presented the wafflemeister team with my date & banana waffle with a touch of cinnamon to be served with caramel sauce and vanilla ice cream. It seemed easy enough to recreate this waffle in the professional kitchen because I practiced making it at home. The pictures that you see on this post are from my experiments at home. However, if you follow me on my social media accounts – Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat – @sliceofmylyfe, you will see several posts of the Waffle that is now on the menu of Wafflemeister – Anita’s Date & Banana Medley served with date syrup.
The date & banana waffle uses a half cup of cinnamon infused, chopped dates for each waffle which is then pressed in a heavy iron waffle for that crisp outer layer and a soft insides.
Now that my waffle is available at Wafflemeister in Bahrain, I would love for all who live in Bahrain to try it as soon as possible. If you have tried it, please let me know how you liked it. With each bite of the waffle, you will get a piece of date which will surely delight you.
The recipe is fairly simple if you plan to recreate this at home. You will need a waffle press at home to make this.
- For the waffles -
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup finely chopped dates
- 1-3/4 cups milk ( add as required to the batter)
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- To serve -
- Banana slices
- date syrup
- cinnamon powder to sprinkle
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Keep aside.
- Mix 1 tbsp ( or more if you like) cinnamon powder to the dates and let it infuse for a bit. Add it to the dry ingredients.
- In a small bowl, combine the milk, egg yolks and butter; stir into dry ingredients.
- In another small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into batter. Don't overmix
- Take ladle full of batter and pour it the preheated waffle iron and allow it to bake well until it is golden brown.
- Serve the waffles in a plate topped with sliced bananas and sprinkle cinnamon powder on the top. Serve hot with date syrup on the side