I discovered avocado very late in life. But I so glad that I finally tried this fruit and I cannot do without it. I love avocado on toast, avocado milk shake and love how it pairs beautifully with quinoa salad. It seems to be such a versatile fruit that goes well with savory and sweet taste.
What makes avocado special is by incorporating it in the diet, it gives a feeling of having a complete meal. This is because it has 34% carbs, 59% fats and 8% protein. All the constituents of a complete me. Weight watchers may feel cynical looking at the carbohydrates and fats content. But it is important to know that avocados are very high in omega 3 fatty acids, the good kind of fat. Monounsaturated fats can help lower cholesterol. So it will do a world of good to introduce avocados in the diet. I learnt a fun fact about Avocado while browsing about this fascinating fruit
“An avocado is ripe and ready to eat when it is slightly soft, but it should not have dark sunken spots or cracks. An avocado with a slight neck, rather than a rounded top, was probably tree-ripened and will have better flavor.”
I hope it will be easier to pick the right kind with this super tip!
However, it is important to check oneself for over consumption of avocados cause they taste sooo good. 🙂
These popsicles were made out of necessity. It has been sweltering in Bahrain and the summer shows no signs of mercy. Cold water, popsicles, cold showers, AC hopping are the only means of survival. These avo popsicles use only 3 ingredients – Avocado , coconut milk & condensed milk. It is simple yet so delicious. To add to the drama, I felt it was necessary to dip the avocado into luscious, dark chocolate and sprinkled some chopped pistachio.
The dark chocolate I used, was BARE Chocolates which is so good in desserts. You will find BARE chocolates at all the leading supermarkets. I used the dark chocolate from BARE ( not in the picture). Check out the other flavours in BARE
For the recipe, check out the recipe card and promise me that you will make these at home.
- 2 large ripe avocados
- 285 gm condensed milk ( or less if you like lesser sweetness)
- 2.5 cups full fat coconut milk ( I used the tinned version)
- 100 gm Dark chocolate
- 2-3 tbsp of chopped pistachio
- Mash the avocados
- Add the avocados, condensed milk, coconut milk in a blender and blend well
- Scope out the avo batter from the blender into popiscle moulds.
- You can insert wooden sticks right away since the avo batter is very thick and the stick will stay in its place.
- Freeze 6-8 hours or better still, overnight
- Just before you want to eat the popsicle, just melt100 gm of dark chocolate in the microwave and dip the unmoulded Popsicle into the cooled ( at room temperature) melted dark chocolate. Because the popsicle is really cold, the chocolate freezes in a few seconds. Top it with pistachio ( chopped or crushed) for the crunch.